During Thursday’s UFC 143 pre-fight press conference, Josh Koscheck (Pictured) avoided answering a question regarding the mood surrounding American Kickboxing Academy given Cain Velasquez’s devastating title loss and Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal’s flunked drug test. At Saturday night’s post-fight presser, we now know why.
For the very first time, the controversial welterweight revealed he has decided to part ways with the talented team. Koscheck has honed his skills at the famed gym the since 2006.
“I’ll be training out of Fresno [, California] from now on. I’m no longer affiliated with some of the people at the gym I’ve been training at. It was a tough camp knowing that this was my last camp there,” Koscheck shared.
“I’m going to do my own thing.”
Koscheck actually opened up his own facility in Fresno not too long ago. The 30-year-old had been working from there and AKA, but the commute to San Jose is now officially a thing of the past.
For those of you that think his exit from AKA now blasts open the doors for a potential showdown with now-former teammate Jon Fitch, Koscheck quickly killed that chatter by stating the longtime friends would continue to help each other out.
In regards to who Kos is interested in fighting next, he said he’d be down to dance with either Nick Diaz or newly-crowned interim champ Carlos Condit.
“Yeah, definitely. Why not? He’s a tough guy. It would be a good fight,” Koscheck stated of Diaz.
“There’s a little bit of history with us and we were supposed to fight tonight. I’m down,” Koscheck said about facing Condit.
Koscheck bumped his record to 17-5 following Saturday’s highly-controversial split decision victory over Mike Pierce. He has now won five of his last six scraps, with his lone blemish during his current run coming against champion Georges St-Pierre.