Alistair Overeem Shelved Nine Months for Failed Drug Test

Written by Tom Ngo
April 24th, 2012

UFC Alistair Overeem

Alistair Overeem (Pictured) stood before the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday to explain why he flunked his pre-fight drug test. Yesterday, the UFC heavyweight revealed anti-inflammatory medication used to treat his injured rib is what caused him to produce elevated levels of testosterone.

“The Demolition Man” stuck to the script today and requested to have a 45 to 60-day continuance in order to bring in experts to strengthen his case.

Because the doctor who prescribed Overeem the medication was present, the NSAC denied his request.

Overeem visited Dr. Hector Oscar Molina in Dallas, Texas on the recommendation of fellow fighter Tra Telligman. He didn’t research Molina or ask him what was in the vile Molina injected him with on January 12th. Overeem admitted he later medicated himself on March 23rd with the same vile and with syringes Molina provided him.

Molina stated he never told his patient there was testosterone in the anti-inflammatory mixture he conjured up. Overeem also never asked him of its contents.

After nearly two hours of Q&A, the NSAC refused to issue Overeem a fight license and shelved him nine months from his failed March 27th drug screening. He can now reapply for licensing as early as December 27th, assuming Overeem doesn’t fight anywhere else during his ban.

FYI – The Texas State Board of Medical Examiners fined Molina $25,000 and placed restrictions on his practice for three years for prescribing controlled substances and dangerous drugs over the Internet without establishing “a proper physician-patient relationship” in 2004. Google Molina and you’ll quickly discover that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Late last month, the NSAC sprung a surprise drug test on the six featured fighters appearing in UFC 146. The results from the pop quiz revealed Overeem’s ‘A’ sample registered a Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 14:1, which is more than double the legal limit permitted by Nevada’s governing body.

According to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, Overeem bolted for his car immediately after the presser wrapped to try and avoid the surprise exam. Overeem claimed to be unaware of the pop quiz, but UFC officials reportedly notified the athletes ahead of time that they would need to submit a urinalysis.

The 31-year-old stated he took off because he was trying to avoid being served legal papers for his ongoing lawsuit with Golden Glory. Overeem said he wanted to avoid making a big spectacle.

Overeem’s counsel claimed today that this client voluntarily “withdrew” from his May 26th title bout against UFC champion Junior dos Santos in order to respect the commission’s process. He has since been replaced in the show by Frank Mir.

Don’t forget to follow 5thRound on Twitter and Facebook!
COMMENTS