Picture
 

Roger Huerta is NOT Quitting UFC

Written by Tom Ngo
September 23rd, 2009

There has been a lot of retirement talk going on of late and now it’s Roger Huerta’s turn. After initially stating that he would focus on acting after his UFC contract expired following his loss to Gray Maynard at “UFC Fight Night 19,” it appears that he’s not quite ready to walk away from MMA.

“I think it could have gone either way and it’s my fault I let it go to the judges and I can’t go out like that,” Huerta told Sherdog.com Sunday. “I can’t go out with two losses in a row. I don’t think I’m going to call it quits anytime soon.”

Huerta dropped a razor-thin split decision last Wednesday, however he was much more engaged then most expected.  MMA enthusiasts thought that the 155-pounder would mail-in his last Octagon bout and go about his Hollywood way.

Quite the contrary, as Huerta reminded everyone that it isn’t a coincidence he owns a 20-3-1 professional record. The 26-year-old displayed the grit and relentlessness that made him a fan favorite since the first day he fought for the UFC.

Prior to the tussle with Maynard, the lightweight had not competed since his loss to Kenny Florian at UFC 87 back in August of 2008. Since that convincing defeat, he opted not to sign an extension with the promotion after he caught the acting bug.

Some thought that the “acting” excuse was a front in order to get out of his current UFC deal. However, Huerta states that he was set on walking away from mixed martial arts until he entered the Octagon last week.

“I’m still open to acting,” said Huerta. “Hopefully we get something going with that, but I’m not going to prioritize (acting) now. I’ll still prioritize fighting. If the UFC wants me back, I’d be willing to go back.”

The UFC would certainly love to have him back, however posting consecutive losses isn’t the best way to enter negotiations with MMA’s monopoly.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS