Although BJ Penn (Pictured) stated exactly one month ago he wasn’t interested in prematurely ending his retirement, despite the fact UFC president Dana White claimed Penn had told him differently, it appears the Hawaiian’s return to mixed martial arts might become a reality.
Late Wednesday night, Josh Koscheck alerted the Twitter universe that he was offered a tango with the former multi-divisional champion. Kos promptly accepted and is now anxiously waiting for his proposed opponent to accept the challenge.
“UFC just offered me to fight BJ Penn…I said YES!!!!! Just waiting on him!!!!!! Let’s scrap bra?” Koscheck tweeted.
Koscheck had his two-fight winning streak snapped earlier this month in a controversial split decision defeat to Johny Hendricks. The 34-year-old has won five of his last seven contests.
Penn has sent mixed messages regarding his future since calling it quits after losing to Nick Diaz at UFC 137. One week after October’s abrupt retirement, Penn said he would return “if it interests me, if it excites me.”
However, the 33-year-old slammed the door on that chatter by stating last month that he’s more intrigued with chasing his two infant daughters around than another UFC belt.
Penn owns a 16-8-2 professional record. He is the only athlete to don both the UFC welterweight and lightweight titles.
No word on when the welterweights would battle if Penn opts to resume his illustrious career.
(Updated 5/17/2012 at 12:23 PM PT):