Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber has just inked an extension to remain with the organization that helped make him a superstar. Although the specifics of the agreement were not released, it’s reportedly a multi-year, multi-fight deal.
WEC general manager Reed Harris confirmed the news Monday afternoon with MMAjunkie.com.
“I had been talking to Urijah for months,” Harris told the website. “I told him six weeks ago, ‘We’ll get this thing done.'”
The former face of the organization has been on the mend since suffering his second consecutive featherweight title loss to reigning champ Mike Brown at WEC 41 in June. Faber broke his right haymaker early in the scrap, however went Ultimate Warrior with it and fought the final rounds throwing right elbows instead of punches.
“Urijah Faber, the doctor cleared his hand,” Harris said of his superstar. “Urijah healed really, really quickly. I heard it was about twice as fast as a normal human being. He’s got that hyperbaric chamber thing going, and he told me, ‘Reed, I’m not [expletive] you. This thing works. I spent time in this hyperbaric chamber.’
“The doctor said he healed at twice the rate. Of course, he’s a really, really healthy dude.”
And he’s really, really anxious to get a third opportunity at Brown, however Harris is gonna make the former 145-pound king work for another 5Round affair.
“We have kind of a policy that we try to make guys work back in,” Harris said. “We don’t just give them an automatic rematch … I’m going to make Urijah fight once or twice before he does that.”