Former UFC welterweight top contender Nick Diaz (pictured) is retired, and no matter what the rumor mill is trying to conjure up, the 29-year-old is no closer to returning to the Octagon today than he was when he re-retired after losing to 170-pound king Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158.
There was a report earlier this month that Diaz’s longtime coach, Cesar Gracie, said the UFC recently presented his client with a short list of potential opponents. Gracie then retracted his comments by claiming he was misquoted.
If you were to ask UFC president Dana White, all’s quiet on the Nick Diaz coming back to the UFC front.
“No, Nick’s retired as far as I know,” White stated Saturday. “There was no miscommunication, it was Cesar. I haven’t talked to Cesar Gracie in over a year.
“I talked to Nick Diaz. Nick and I talked [via text about two weeks ago]. We didn’t talk about a fight, [we discussed] other [expletive].”
Diaz initially announced his retirement after losing a controversial decision to Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight title at UFC 143, a bout Diaz was positive he had won. Many pundits believed he would return after the disappointment from the judges’ verdict dissipated.
He had 12 months to mull it over and couldn’t pass up the chance to come back to challenge GSP for this throne in March. Most believe Mr. 209 will likely do the same once again somewhere down the line, but White isn’t ready to line up Diaz’s next fight just yet.
“I don’t know. Nick Diaz isn’t an easy read,” White said in closing.