The days of Nick Diaz (pictured) driving around a rickety old Honda are in his rear-view mirror – if you were to ask UFC president Dana White. During Thursday’s Google+ Hangout, White said one of the reasons he believes Diaz isn’t in a hurry to come out of retirement (again) is because his bank account has never shown more zeroes.
Diaz initially announced his retirement after losing a controversial decision to Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight title at UFC 143, a bout Diaz was positive he had won. After mulling it over for 12 months, he couldn’t pass up the chance to challenge reigning 170-pound king Georges St-Pierre for this throne in March.
It was one of the most anticipated scraps the division had ever witnessed, featuring the UFC’s biggest pay-per-view draw, so Diaz scored a nice PPV bonus check.
“[Nick’s] still an active fighter here in the UFC, but as far as I know, he’s just not interested in fighting right now. He doesn’t want a fight,” White said. “Obviously, when Nick finally fought Georges St-Pierre, Nick Diaz made some money. So, Nick Diaz has some kickback money. He can probably take as long as he wants to fight again. I would assume that’s why [he doesn’t want to come back right now].
“You’re fighting to make a living. You’re fighting to pay your bills. You’re fighting to get things that you want out of life. With the money that Nick Diaz made in his last fight, I’m sure he’s got everything he wants right now.”
Last month, White revealed they offered Diaz a middleweight match against Lyoto Machida. Four days later, White admitted it was a “bad idea” because “there’s other things going on with Diaz.”
Diaz owns a respectable 26-9 (1 NC) professional record. The 30-year-old has been suspended for marijuana on two separate occasions.