On Monday, former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was officially charged by the Orange County District Attorney’s Office on two felony and four misdemeanor counts resulting from his hit and run and police chase on July 15th. On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White said that although everyone is sorry that the incident happened, it is still business as usual for Rampage, and he is expected back in the Octagon before year’s end.
“Of course he’ll fight,” White told Yahoo Sports. “If he was doing drugs, if he had been drunk, if he had gone out there and done what he did because he was pissed off at someone, that would be a completely different story. But he was ill. And in this company, we support our friends and anyone who works for us when they’re ill and have problems. He was ill, the incident occurred, and now he’s fine.
“Rampage feels awful about the woman’s baby, but he had nothing to do with it. And the (traffic incident) occurred because he was very ill and not with him in control of his faculties.”
Rumors have been circulating that Rampage would be taking on Mauricio Shogun Rua at the UFC’s New Year’s Eve card on December 27th. Rua stated that the UFC had offered him the fight, and he has accepted.
In a recent interview, Rampage was calling for a bout against former PrideFC foe, Wanderlei Silva. However, White said that a third fight against Silva would be unlikely since Silva already holds two knockout victories over the former UFC champion.
However, White hinted that Rampage would be returning at UFC 91, the promotion’s November 15th card in Portland, Oregon. If that is the case, his opponent may not be Rua, as he said he would not be prepared to fight until December.
Sure there is uncertainty on who and when Rampage will fight next, but the good news for MMA fans is that Rampage is back, healthy physically, and especially mentally.