I don’t care what the UFC 170 event poster depicted, the lightweight scrap between Gilbert Melendez (pictured) and Khabib Nurmagomedov will not be going down on February 22.
Less than a week after UFC president Dana White left a copy of the show’s billboard behind at the UFC 168 post-fight press conference, White told FoxSports.com Friday that they have scrapped the shootout.
White said the promotion is currently scouring its roster for a different opponent for Nurmagomedov. No word on why they weren’t able to arrange the tango between the two.
White hinted there was a snag in the bout earlier this week by tweeting, “Not true, this fight is not done yet,” after UFC 170’s ad was made public.
Nurmagomedov owns a perfect 21-0 professional record, with his past five tangos coming inside the Octagon. The 25-year-old was last seen in September posting a unanimous decision over Pat Healy.
Melendez is coming off his instant classic decision win over Diego Sanchez. The former Strikeforce champ collected his first UFC victory in what many believe was 2013′s fight of the year.
UFC 170 takes place inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Here is the card’s current lineup:
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. TBD
Francisco Rivera vs. Raphael Assuncao
Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker
Mike Pyle vs. TJ Waldburger
Thiago Silva vs. Ovince St. Preux
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov
Demian Maia vs. Rory MacDonald
Rashad Evans vs. Daniel Cormier
Sara McMann vs. Ronda Rousey (UFC bantamweight champion)