UFC president Dana White continues to claim personal issues are the lone reason former welterweight king Georges St-Pierre (pictured) took an indefinite/definite break from MMA. More importantly, that the UFC’s lax drug testing policy had nothing to do with it.
However, St-Pierre made it clear Monday on “The MMA Hour” that performance-enhancing drugs are at the forefront of his concerns. St-Pierre said he even emphasized with White and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta the night he announced his leave that the UFC needs a stricter drug screening program.
White has claimed no such thing was brought up during their private post-UFC 167 chat.
“I said it even before when I met with [Dana and Lorenzo]. This, I swear,” St-Pierre deadpanned. “I met them after my fight with Johny Hendricks when I went in the back. I said that to them. I said it to them, I swear on myself and my family.
“So when they say I never said it, that I said it publicly before I said it to them, I said it to them first.”
And how did MMA’s head honchos react when you expressed your concern for the PED epidemic in MMA?
“They were not surprised,” St-Pierre revealed. “I don’t believe they were surprised. I told them and they were like, ‘Oh, you think so?’ I was like, ‘Yeah, I know for a fact.’
“Lorenzo is a good person. Lorenzo understands that it’s true. I believe the problem is not the UFC, it’s the system … The system is not in place. There are no guidelines. The way they test now, it’s not good. It’s not good the way they test. If you get caught on steroids right now, it’s because you’re very disorganized. It’s so easy to beat the test. It’s ridiculous. It’s not a real test.”
St-Pierre left MMA in his rear-view mirror at the peak of his illustrious career after taking a highly controversial split decision victory over Hendricks in November. The 32-year-old recently revealed that his case of obsessive compulsive disorder was the personal issue that caused him to go on sabbatical.
While St-Pierre reiterated that he needs to get his life back in order before even thinking about stepping back in the cage, he also isn’t interested in fighting again unless the UFC enforces a stricter drug testing program – specifically, random exams conducted by an independent third-party company.
“Me, personally, I’m not interested in coming back if there’s nothing done in that regard,” St-Pierre said of the UFC addressing their alleged PED problem. “I’m not at peace to fight like this. The only thing I regret now is, this thing, I should have done it better. I should have done it before this, because this has been bothering me for a long time and I never said anything. But I should have done this long before. Because I had money. I could have paid for the VADA tests earlier.”
White said last week that he “knows for a fact” St-Pierre will return to fighting. If that’s the case, it’s clear the UFC better up their drug testing game if they want their biggest pay-per-view draw back inside the Octagon.
In the meantime, St-Pierre watched Hendricks capture the vacant welterweight title he willingly left behind this past Saturday by beating Robbie Lawler at UFC 171. It was the first time since April 2008 that White wrapped the undisputed 170-pound belt around the waist of someone other than St-Pierre.