Picture
 

Dana White Very Interested in Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz

Written by Tom Ngo
June 12th, 2014
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Nick Diaz

Former UFC middleweight king Anderson Silva is still at least six months away from returning from a broken left shin, but it appears Nick Diaz (pictured) will likely be who rolls out the welcome back wagon for Silva.

“I know [Silva and his team] want it,” UFC president Dana White stated during Thursday’s UFC 174 media scrum. “I think that’s a very interesting fight, so we’ll see what happens.”

The chatter started last week when it was reported on “UFC Tonight” that Diaz would be willing to come out of retirement for the second time if his opponent was “The Spider.” Silva’s team was immediately interested when they caught wind of Diaz’s challenge.

White hasn’t spoken to Silva or Diaz specifically regarding the scrap, but that’s mainly because Diaz is currently in no hurry to return to action and Silva is still in the early stages of rehab.

“Anderson isn’t coming back until December, anyway,” White responded when asked why he hasn’t placed bout agreements in front of the MMA stars. “It’s far enough where I don’t need to talk to him yet. If Anderson wants to fight Nick and Nick wants to fight Anderson, why would I say no?”

Diaz has bounced between various weight classes throughout his career, most recently settling at welterweight, while Silva is the greatest middleweight the game has ever seen. If the shootout comes to fruition, White says it will likely go down at 185 pounds.

“I think it would be tough for Anderson to make [170],” White said. “A few years ago he was saying he could do it, but I don’t know about now. He’s not getting any younger.”

White said the tango could take place by the end of the year or at the beginning of 2015. Silva previously said he is aiming for his next fight to go down early next year.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS