Picture
 

Dana White Responds to Wanderlei Silva’s Claims of Disrespect

Written by Tom Ngo
September 25th, 2014
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC President Dana White

When legend Wanderlei Silva unceremoniously announced his retirement from mixed martial arts via last week’s YouTube video, just days before he was to stand before the Nevada Athletic Commission to receive punishment for ducking May’s random drug test, the Brazilian didn’t hesitate to trash the UFC on his way out.

Silva claimed the UFC disrespected him, turned his legion of fans against him, took his will to fight, among many other things.

UFC president Dana White (pictured) has been quiet since Silva’s accusations, but finally addressed them during an interview with UFC.com.

“I’ve never said a bad thing about Wanderlei Silva in my life,” White said. “I’ve always respected the guy and there is no way that guy can ever say that myself or Lorenzo Fertitta ever disrespected him. There’s nothing more that needs to be said.”

If it were UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey who was in Silva’s predicament, it can be argued that White probably would have found a way to be more supportive. However, Silva hasn’t fought since March 2013 and has probably been in the twilight of his career since joining the UFC in 2007.

On the flipside, White is right. It was Silva, an 18-year veteran, who opted to bolt out the backdoor of his gym when the NAC sprung the surprise test on him. What did Silva think was going to happen?

Well, for some reason Silva thought everything would be fine after his initial meeting with the NAC after he admitted he had taken diuretics, which are commonly classified as a banned substance due to their use as a masking agent to prevent detection of other illegal substances.

Everyone else, however, knew he was in a world of trouble when sentencing came down Tuesday.

Silva was issued a lifetime ban and docked $70,000, 35% of the guaranteed money Silva would have made for fighting Chael Sonnen at UFC 175, for skipping his drug test.

“The Axe Murderer” pulled a no-show at the meeting.

White expected the NAC would throw the book at Silva, but he didn’t think they’d chuck the entire library at him.

“I’ve been saying it for a long time that he was going to get something serious,” Whtie said. “I didn’t see a lifetime ban coming, but probably the worst thing you can do is run from a drug test. You can’t run from a drug test.”

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS