Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar doused fuel onto the I’m-returning-to-MMA flames last month when he was spotted sitting front and center watching Ronda Rousey submit Cat Zingano at UFC 184.
With Lesnar’s contract with the WWE set to expire soon, and reports of stalled extension talks with the professional wrestling organization, the possibility of the 37-year-old coming back to real fighting has never been higher.
At least that’s what Lesnar would like for everyone, especially the WWE, to believe. Alistair Overeem, the last man to face Lesnar in an MMA bout, initially thought there was legitimate a chance Lesnar would return. However, “The Demolition Man” now believes his former nemesis will stay right where he is.
“To be honest, he is not going to come back,” Overeem said Thursday of Lesnar’s potential UFC return. “I was actually one of the first to say, ‘Hey, I think he’s coming back,’ but I double-back from those comments, he’s not going to come back.”
Overeem believes it’s pure fantasy that Lesnar will resume his MMA career because when the going gets tough, Lesnar gets going … in he opposite direction.
“He remembers in the beginning it was easy, but at the end it was very hard for him,” Overeem said. “He is a guy that kind of goes where it’s easy. He’s not going to come back. It’s too hard. The competition is too stiff.
“He’s not gonna win that belt. It’s not gonna happen. He might win one or two, then what? Then he’s gonna face stiffer competition and get destroyed again. Mentally, that does something to you.”
Overeem added that someone of Lesnar’s drawing power could come back to MMA if he needed the money, which reports have indicated he doesn’t.
Lesnar hung up his MMA gloves after getting TKO’d by Overeem over four years ago at UFC 141. He left the game with a 5-3 professional record, with all but one of his scraps coming inside the big leagues.
Overeem, meanwhile, meets Roy Nelson Saturday at UFC 185.