Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (pictured) was THIS close to returning to MMA. However, Lesnar decided Monday night to stick to his fake fighting ways and re-sign with the WWE instead of attempting a comeback in the cage.
“My legacy in the Octagon is over,” Lesnar stated Tuesday on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “I’m officially closing the door on MMA, yes. It was hard. It is hard. I re-signed last night with the WWE.
“I had many sleepless nights. I was born to be an entertainer.”
While some thought Lesnar was merely using the UFC as a ploy to strengthen his power at the bargaining table with the WWE, dousing fuel onto the white hot fire by sitting front and center to watch Ronda Rousey submit Cat Zingano last month at UFC 184, Lesnar revealed he recently sought out coaches and training partners in preparation for a return to MMA.
But at the end of the day, money talks, and if you know Lesnar, you know he loves money.
“The older you get, the wiser you become. I didn’t want to be that guy who retired and came back,” Lesnar said. “There were a lot of things that went through my mind. Like I said, this wasn’t an overnight decision. This was a long heartfelt decision. You weigh out the pros, you weigh out the cons, and last night old Vince McMahon put an offer on the table that I couldn’t refuse.
“I work part-time for full-time pay, which everybody wants. But you can’t have it. Just me.”
Lesnar did not disclose the terms of his new agreement with the WWE.
Lesnar, who turns 38 in July, hung up his MMA gloves after getting TKO’d by Alistair Overeem over four years ago at UFC 141. He left the game with a 5-3 professional record, with all but one of his scraps coming inside the big leagues.
Four of his seven UFC fights were of the championship variety.