When you’ve lost three of your last four fights, with the most recent defeat coming in a lopsided unanimous decision to now-UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos, you don’t get the privilege of calling your next opponent.
That’s a cold hard fact Nate Diaz (pictured) learned Wednesday when he was surprisingly assigned to Matt Brown. According to Diaz, not only was he under the impression that he would remain at lightweight to face former champ Anthony Pettis next, but he wasn’t told about hopping back up to welterweight, a division he hasn’t competed in since 2011, to meet Brown at UFC 189 until after the promotion made the announcement.
“Nah I’m fighting Pettis,” Diaz tweeted following the UFC’s report.
Diaz later elaborated about next opponent with MMAFighting.com.
“We were supposed to meet with the UFC next Monday to get my next fight figured out,” Diaz told the website., “but then they busted out the Matt Brown fight. I thought I was fighting Anthony Pettis next. He’s trying to fight me and I’m trying to fight him.
“I’m open to the Brown fight – I said I wanted to fight him last year – but I don’t like that they made the fight official before we ever negotiated or agreed to it.”
Given Diaz’s current skid, and the fact he held out for nearly a year before losing to dos Anjos in an attempt to renegotiate his contract, UFC brass clearly aren’t interested in hearing what the 29-year-old has to say.
Take it or leave it, Nate. Here’s to guessing he’ll be forced to take it.
UFC 189 goes down July 11 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. As of now, Diaz vs. Brown is on the official roster.