Miesha Tate (pictured) was lied to, and the now-former UFC bantamweight top contender is none too pleased about getting blindsided by the snub.
Tate was promised a trilogy with champion Ronda Rousey after beating Jessica Eye last month, but the UFC abruptly did an about-face Friday when Rousey announced on “Good Morning America” that Holly Holm would actually be her next opponent at UFC 195.
With nowhere left to turn, Tate took to Instagram to vent.
“I am extremely disappointed how all the events unfolded this morning regarding news that I will not be fighting Ronda Rousey,” Tate wrote Friday afternoon. “I was told after my last win that I had earned the title shot.
“I’ve already begun training for Rousey and I was shocked to hear the announcement this morning. I regret this for not only myself, but my team, sponsors and the fans who like me believed my next fight was for the title.”
Tate has rattled off four straight wins and is the division’s top-ranked fighter behind Rousey. She was indeed promised a third tango with Rousey, but this isn’t the first time the UFC has done this.
While Tate was shocked by today’s news, it’s not too surprising the UFC wants Rousey to taste fresh meat. Rousey has already finished Tate on two separate occasions and has only become more dominant since their last encounter.
UFC president Dana White told the LA Times’ Lance Pugmire that he would like to pit Tate against Amanda Nunes next.