One Nate Diaz victory over Conor McGregor sure made Jose Aldo (pictured) forget about his 13 second knockout defeat to the “Notorious” one. Moments after Diaz served up an upset special over the UFC’s golden child on Saturday, Aldo took to Twitter to rub some salt on McGregor’s wounds.
“See ya at #UFC200, @TheNotoriousMMA. Your fairy tale is over. You got nowhere to run now. Time to a rematch, pussy,” Aldo wrote following UFC 196.
As you may recall, McGregor put Aldo to sleep in record time for a championship affair at UFC 194 to unify the featherweight title. Aldo has been campaigning for an immediate rematch ever since December’s devastating defeat.
McGregor was initially slated to challenge lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196, but dos Anjos was forced to pull out after suffering a broken foot at the 11th hour.
McGregor was looking to become the first fighter in UFC history to simultaneously possess two different belts.
McGregor was adamant that he wanted to stay on the card and would fight anyone, at nearly any reasonable weight. Aldo was reportedly the first call the UFC made, but Aldo didn’t get off his medical suspension until February 11 so he was in no condition to take the last-minute scrap.
Diaz, however, was training for a triathlon and was more than happy to serve as substitute on just 11 days’ notice. Although, Diaz did demand and receive a hefty raise and contract extension.
Diaz, who had to cut over 10 pounds to make welterweight in order to fight McGregor, while McGregor fought at his natural weight, shocked the MMA world by submitting the Irishman in the second round.
And guess who was in Brazil doing Yes cartwheels?
McGregor apparently saw what Aldo had posted on Twitter and addressed it at the UFC 196 post-fight press conference.
“He had an opportunity to show up here and he didn’t,” McGregor said of Aldo. “He could be sitting here where Nate’s sitting right now. He was the first choice. He said, ‘Any time, anyplace, anywhere.’ And then it wasn’t any time, anyplace, anywhere.
“Now another man gets a victory over me and he’s celebrating. That’s the sign of a loser. That’s the sign of a runner-up. That’s not the sign of a champion.”
Regardless of Saturday’s outcome, McGregor previously said he intended to return to action at UFC 200 on July 9. After suffering the biggest loss of his career, McGregor suggested that he will likely go back to featherweight in his next outing to defend his throne.
If that’s the case, granting Aldo a rematch or facing Frankie Edgar are his best options. If Edgar wants the nod, he better up his trash talking game because Aldo came strong with his application.