Picture
 

Conor McGregor Boasts He Surpassed Brock Lesnar As UFC PPV King

Written by Tom Ngo
May 2nd, 2016
Share on Facebook0Google+1Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Conor McGregor

Why does Conor McGregor (pictured) need to attend a press conference to “hand out fliers” when Twitter provides him with his own platform to address only the questions that he feels like answering?

That’s exactly what the UFC featherweight champion did Monday, spotlighting his importance to the UFC’s pay-per-view business.

Now that McGregor is officially off UFC 200 because he refused to board the UFC’s private jet from Iceland to Las Vegas to “hand out fliers,” McGregor claims the show’s new main event between light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim champ Jon Jones will fail to eclipse 1.5 million PPV buys.

“I do not [think UFC 200 will get 1.5 million buys]. I had the May/Pac record primed, ready to place MMA at the undisputed top. But it was not to be. #Press,” McGregor wrote.

McGregor then declared himself the UFC’s PPV king, surpassing former UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar. Actually, “Notorious” claims he sits atop all UFC records for viewership and attendance.

“It is not safe to say. It is fact to say [I’ve overtaken Brock]. I hold PPV, Gate, TV, Fightpass and Embedded record. Even Title fight KO,” he boasted.

The UFC is a privately owned company, so their PPV numbers are rarely revealed. However, it has been rumored UFC 100, where Lesnar beat Frank Mir for the interim heavyweight title in the show’s featured attraction, holds the UFC record between 1.3-1.7 million PPV buys.

Correction, held the UFC record.

“Incorrect. I beat [UFC 100] by 400,000 buys. Which alone was 100,000 more buys than UFC 197 made IN TOTAL. #KillShot,” McGregor said of his last outing against Nate Diaz at UFC 196.

UFC president Dana White recently revealed to Max & Marcellus on ESPN Radio that March’s UFC 196 event did 1.5 million buys. “It was the biggest pay-per-view we ever did. Social media was ridiculous,” White stated.

There’s no denying McGregor’s star power. Even coming off a shocking submission loss to Diaz he generated more buzz last month by announcing his retirement and un-retirement in two social media posts than anything he could have said at the UFC 200 press conference in Las Vegas.

Still, White stuck to his stubborn guns and refused to cave to his cash cow. Now he’ll reportedly lose $45 million because of it.

McGregor closed out his impromptu Q&A with a pure mic dropper, “Call me No press. Most press.”

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS