After watching Saturday’s instant classic between Conor McGregor (pictured) and Nate Diaz at UFC 202, all anybody can talk about is an epic trilogy now that the bitter rivals have knotted up the score at one apiece.
The first words out of McGregor’s mouth after edging Diaz for a controversial majority decision last night was arranging the rubber match, but this time at lightweight instead of welterweight where their first two tangos took place.
During his post-fight media scrum, Diaz said he wasn’t interested in anything but a third shootout with the UFC’s golden child.
Celebrities, fellow fighters and fans are all enamored with throwing these two back in the cage against each other ASAP. Unfortunately for everyone eagerly awaiting Part III, UFC president Dana White isn’t planning on organizing a trilogy anytime soon.
“We’re definitely not doing this a 3rd time, right now,” White stated on the Fox Sports 1 post-fight show. “I don’t there’s anybody that doesn’t want to see this fight again, but Conor’s either gonna go defend his [featherweight] title or give his title up, and then we’ll figure out where we go from there.”
For once, it appears White will be a man of his word. Prior to Saturday’s highly anticipated rematch, White said that win, lose or draw, McGregor would make his first featherweight title defense in his next outing.
After knocking out Jose Aldo in merely 13 seconds to unify the featherweight crown, McGregor immediately hopped to the lightweight division to challenge then-champ Rafael Dos Anjos in an attempt to become the UFC’s first two-way title holder. Dos Anjos was subsequently forced to withdraw from UFC 196 with a broken foot which allowed Diaz to slide in at the last second.
McGregor said he was going to defend his throne after getting upset by Diaz in March, then changed course and was adamant about avenging the shocking submission loss. The UFC granted their meal ticket his wish and instead of causing a logjam at featherweight, they arranged an interim title bout between Aldo and Frankie Edgar.
Aldo went on to capture the manufactured belt last month at UFC 200 and is anxiously awaiting his rematch with McGregor.
— Jose Aldo Junior (@josealdojunior) August 21, 2016
That sequel should also be of the blockbuster variety, so McGregor will once again be rewarded handsomely for stepping into the octagon.
As for Diaz’s next move, White isn’t sure what’s in store for Mr. 209 at this point in time.
“I have no idea what’s next for Nate,” White said. “I don’t know, we’ll see what happens.”