Former UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler (pictured) has been up UFC president Dana White’s arse bugging to return to work as soon as possible after losing his belt to Tyron Woodley in knockout fashion in July.
White didn’t do Lawler any favors, not that “Ruthless” wanted a gimmie anyways, by assigning him red hot Donald Cerrone.
White told CBS-19 TV Wednesday that both veterans have signed their bout contracts to collide at UFC 205. The November 12 event takes place inside Madison Square Garden in New York, New York.
Lawler had rattled off five consecutive victories prior to getting put to sleep by Woodley. A win over Cerrone should put him right back in the mix to try and reclaim his throne, which he had successfully defended twice before meeting Woodley’s fists.
Cerrone, meanwhile, is a perfect 3-0 since moving up to the welterweight division. “Cowboy” has finished off all of those victims before the final horn. After last month’s TKO over Rick Story, Cerrone said he’d be more than happy to jump right back into action for the UFC’s much anticipated return to New York.
This shootout is expected to appear on UFC 205’s main card. No word on who will headline the UFC’s long awaited MSG debut.
Here is the card’s current lineup:
Al Iaquinta vs. Thiago Alves
Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler