UFC interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo (pictured) met with UFC president Dana White and UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby at the company’s Las Vegas headquarters Wednesday to reiterate his desire to terminate his UFC contract despite the fact he never intends on fighting again.
Aldo said he felt good about the meeting he requested, but didn’t offer any direct answers regarding his future with the promotion.
“I didn’t come here just wanting to cancel my contract or to be released,” Aldo said through a translator. “I came here because I had a lot on my chest, a lot I wanted to say, and I thought saying them in-person was the professional approach … What the future will hold, nobody knows. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Last month, Aldo was quite vocal about his displeasure with White’s endless broken promises. White had promised Aldo would get a rematch against featherweight champ Conor McGregor in his next outing after the Brazilian trounced Frankie Edgar in July to capture the vacant interim belt.
However, White subsequently pitted McGregor against lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez for his belt at UFC 205 instead, much to Aldo’s surprise and dismay.
That’s when Aldo had enough and demanded to be released from his contract. The most decorated featherweight champ the game has ever witnessed took things a step further a day later by stating he had lost the desire to fight.
Aldo entered today’s meeting with the intent of quitting MMA, but refused to slam the cage door completely shut on returning.
“At this moment, nobody knows. I don’t know,” Aldo responded when asked if he still plans on putting MMA in his rear-view mirror. “I came here from Brazil already with my ideas firmly fixed in my head and my current intention is to no longer fight, that hasn’t changed, that’s how I felt when I left Brazil, that’s how I feel still today, but like I said, for the future, nobody knows. We’ll see.”
The most confusing part about this whole situation is, if Aldo no longer plans on fighting, why does he want to be released from his UFC contract? Wouldn’t being under contract be irrelevant if he’s retiring from MMA anyways?
“If there wasn’t a contract or anything holding me back, I don’t think [I would fight],” Aldo said. “I don’t see myself fighting anymore. I think I’ve done a lot for the sport and I need to go my way. But, since I have a contract with the UFC, I think I need to respect that. I respect everyone, but we came here to have a conversation with them and I think the conversation was great.”
Aldo’s answer makes it seem as though he has to fight just because there’s bouts remaining on his UFC contract. That’s not the case for any fighter – you don’t fight, you don’t get paid. If you want to retire, the UFC can’t make you fight.
Regardless, Aldo is publicly stating that he’s done with fighting. However, with his vague answers and desire to fly from Brazil to Las Vegas to express his mind lead you to believe he’s merely frustrated and wants the respect that his illustrious career warrants.
I’m sure it doesn’t help that the man who knocked him out in 13 seconds to snap his 18-fight winning streak and snatch his featherweight belt appears to be calling the shots now.