Picture
 

Jon Jones Calls Out Brock Lesnar After Winning UFC Title

Written by Tom Ngo
July 29th, 2017
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Brock Lesnar

During Wednesday’s UFC 214 pre-fight press conference, Jon Jones was asked about the possibility of him fighting Brock Lesnar in the near future.

“I’ll deal with Daniel [Cormier], and then I’ll deal with Brock Lesnar,” Jones deadpanned.

After knocking out Cormier to reclaim his light heavyweight title at UFC 214 on Saturday, Jones wasted no time in starting to deal with the former UFC heavyweight champion.

“Brock Lesnar, if you want to know what it feels like to get your ass kicked by somebody 40 pounds lighter than you, come into octagon,” Jones stated during his in-cage interview.

Jones expanded on his desire to chase big bouts during Fox Sports 1’s post-fight show.

“I feel like now is the time to branch out and experiment with some real big fights and get paid,” Jones stated. “I haven’t fought. I’ve been inactive so I need a check. Let’s get some big fights.”

The rumor mill started churning this past week when a fan asked Jones during a Facebook chat if he’d be open to facing the massive Lesnar.

“He’s a massive dude,” Jones said. “It would be a massive draw, really big for the sport. It would be a great challenge. hat’s a big old boy.

“I doubt Brock Lesnar would take that fight, though. I definitely wouldn’t try to wrestle with him the whole time. I’m not going to tell you what I would do.”

It didn’t take long for Lesnar to catch wind of the challenge, and it appears he’s open to battling “Bones.”

“Would I fight Jon Jones? Anytime, anywhere,” Lesnar told apnews.com. “Right now, he should be worried about ‘DC’ on Saturday night.”

Of course, there are several roadblocks that Lesnar needs to clear before a blockbuster bout with Jones can come to fruition. First and foremost, he needs to wait until his WWE contract expires.

It is believed that’s happening fairly soon, as there were reports Lesnar recently re-entered the UFC required USADA drug testing pool. UFC president Dana White shot down that rumor Wednesday, but we all know how much we can take White at his word.

Another obstacle is that Lesnar still has six months remaining on the year-long drug suspension he was handed by the Nevada Athletic Commission for flunking two exams in his MMA return for UFC 200 last July. The suspension was put on hold after Lesnar retired from MMA earlier this year.

Another thing for Lesnar to consider is that he just turned 40 this month.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS