Picture
 

Junior dos Santos: I Would Never Cheat

Written by Tom Ngo
August 20th, 2017
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Junior Dos Santos

Junior dos Santos is tearing a page out of nearly every cheater that came before him – I did not knowingly take any performance-enhancing drugs.

For the first time since the former UFC heavyweight champion was notified by the USADA of a potential anti-doping violation for the diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide, which can also be used as a PED masking agent, dos Santos addressed the controversy in a video post on his verified Twitter account.

“Hi, everyone. I’m here at home, and look, I’m not here to give an explanation,” dos Santos said. “Soon, everything will be clear to all of you and no doubts – truth will prevail. I’m here in respect for all of you guys. I just want to say that this situation is very tough for me, my team and my family. And I would never cheat. It goes against everything I stand for. I play a fair game.

“We will get to the bottom of this, figure out what happened, learn from it and move on. And I hope in the near future, Francis Ngannou and me can face each other and give you guys the show you were expecting. For now, thank you very much for your support. It means a lot to me, and that’s why I’m here.”

Dos Santos, one of the nicest guys to ever compete in MMA, has never flunked a drug test during his professional career. The 33-year-old had been very outspoken in the past about PED users, so Friday’s news surprised many in the MMA world.

But, as Nate Diaz once famously said, “Everyone’s on steroids.”

Dos Santos’ team has requested for the USDA to have his B-sample retested, which will most likely provide the same results as his A-sample. They are also sending his supplements to be screened to see which one(s) are contaminated with Hydrochlorothiazide.

If found guilty, dos Santos could be suspended as much as two years since this is his first offense.

Dos Santos was slated to fight fast-rising Francis Ngannou at UFC 215. The promotion is currently looking for a replacement to face Ngannou in the September 9 event.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS