The Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed that all 10 of the fighters that they drug tested following UFC 91 came up clean, including main event fighters Randy Couture and newly crowned heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. Also, the preliminary UFC 91 pay-per-view buyrates are in, and they didn’t quite meet UFC president Dana White’s proclamation of 1.2 million. In fact, the early numbers show that they only pulled approximately 800,000 buys.
Kenny Florian, Dustin Hazelett, Gabriel Gonzaga, Demian Maia, Jeremy Stephens, Aaron Riley, Mark Bocek and Matt Brown were all tested along with the two main event fighters.
UFC 91 may not have hit White’s lofty expectations, however the card will still go down as one of the UFC’s most successful.
The event was not a sell out either, however 14,272 fans packed into the MGM Grand Garden Hotel and Casino to watch Couture lose his UFC heavyweight title to Lesnar. The event garnered $4,815,650 Million at the gate -the fourth highest in UFC history.
Here are the UFC’s Top 5 gate earners:
1. UFC 66 “Liddell vs. Ortiz II”, December 2006: $5,397,300 gate (12,191 in attendance)
2. UFC 83 “St. Pierre vs. Serra II”, April 2008: $5,100,000 (21,390 in attendance)
3. UFC 79 “St. Pierre vs. Hughes”, December 2007: $4,994,050 (9,704 in attendance)
4. UFC 91 “Couture vs. Lesnar”, November 2008: $4,815,675 (13,224 in attendance)
5. UFC 71 “Liddell vs. Jackson”, May 2007: $4,304,740 (13,224 in attendance)