Because so many UFC fight cards were ravaged by the injury bug last year, parlayed with Vitor Belfort’s abrupt exit from UFC 112 to kick-off 2010, UFC president Dana White told Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez that they need to be ready for a title fight after UFC 110 … just in case.
“Brock [Lesnar] is back in the heavyweight division now [and he’s the champion],” White said at Wednesday’s UFC 110 pre-fight press conference. “He’s healthy, and he’s going to fight again. [Frank] Mir and [Shane] Carwin are going to fight for the interim title because that fight was already made before Brock said he was coming back.”
Carwin and Mir will battle for the manufactured title at UFC 111 on March 27th in New Jersey. The UFC’s ideal scenario would have a healthy Carwin/Mir winner unify the title against Lesnar later this summer.
After that, depending how Saturday night goes, Big Nog or Velasquez would likely get the next crack. However, headliners have been dropping like flies, so …
“The winner of [the Nogueira and Velasquez fight] puts them right in the mix because something could happen to either Shane or Mir in that fight where they couldn’t fight Brock, so the winner of this fight would fight Brock,” said White.
Lesnar hasn’t been seen inside an Octagon since annihilating the aforementioned Mir at UFC 100 last July. The former WWE superstar has been sidelined with a “severe case of diverticulitis,” however made a “miraculous” recovery and is finally back to training.
UFC 110 takes places inside the Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. Catch the pay-per-view broadcast live this Saturday beginning at 10PM ET/7PM PT.