The most highly anticipated fight in MMA history lived up to all the hype yesterday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. UFC 94 sold out in a matter of weeks and earned the organization a preliminary gate total of $4,290,020 million as 14,885 fans packed into the arena to watch welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre dominate BJ Penn through four rounds.
Of the 14,885 fans in attendance, only1,263 received complimentary tickets. They witnessed UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre dominate BJ Penn through 20 brutal minutes.
Although this historic event earned the organization its sixth largest gate in history, this UFC card had to deal with something that their higher-grossing predecessors didn’t have to, a fledgling economy.
1. UFC 66 (Liddell vs. Ortiz II): $5,397,300 gate (12,191 attendance)
2. UFC 83 (St. Pierre vs. Serra II): $5,100,000 gate (21,390 attendance)
3. UFC 79 (St. Pierre vs. Hughes): $4,994,050 gate (9,704 attendance)
4. UFC 91 (Couture vs. Lesnar): $4,815,675 gate (13,224 attendance)
5. UFC 71 (Liddell vs. Jackson): $4,304,740 gate (13,224 attendance)
6. UFC 94 (St. Pierre vs. Penn II): $4,290,020 gate (14,885 attendance)