It is being reported that interim UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will be forced to withdraw from his bout against fellow UFC champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 98. As of today’s UFC 96 weigh-ins, that was news to organization president Dana White, however late Friday evening, Mir confirmed the injury and the bout’s postponement (UPDATED).
Mir stated that he suffered a knee injury so serious that it required him to undergo surgery. The two-time champion will be sidelined for the next four to six months.
“Hopefully (we can fight in) the summertime,” Mir told BodyBuilding.com. “It was May 23, but I needed to get a scope done to my knee, so I got it done immediately last week. It would be rushing it to try and fight that soon because I can’t really train for four to six weeks as far as sparring and wrestling and the real forms of training. Obviously I can hit the treadmill, but that’s usually not a good idea to be getting in shape for a fight on a treadmill.”
When asked about Mir’s injury at today’s weigh-in, UFC president White had no idea what Yahoo! Sports was talking about.
“If he were hurt and the fight was off, I’d assume I would know,” White stated.
As of now, the UFC has not released an official statement regarding the heavyweight title bout.
The two champions are to headline a card which would unify the crown for the first time in over a year. The rematch will be taking place inside of the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany on June 13th.
Mir caught Lesnar with a knee bar in the 1stRound of their UFC 81match. It was Lesnar’s UFC debut and second professional MMA fight.
Mir became the organization’s interim champ when he defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92. Immediately following the bout, he called out Lesnar, who was sitting ringside with his wife, and told him that he was looking forward to giving him the rematch that he has been begging for.