Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has just confirmed with the LA Times that his organization is planning on hosting an event at the Nokia Theatre in downtown Los Angeles on June 16th.*
Coker told Lance Pugmire he’s hoping to have former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Jason “Mayhem” Miller headline the Showtime broadcast.
The charismatic promoter added that he expects for Strikeforce women’s champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos and former TNA superstar Bobby Lashley to appear on the card as well.
Auspiciously left off the preliminary roster is a certain heavyweight superstar. Coker told 5thRound.com last month they anticipated coming to terms with Fedor Emelianenko quickly in hopes for a summer return.
“I think things are going well. There’s good dialog. There’s light at the end of the tunnel,” Coker told us. “I think it was good to go through this exercise, to button-up a few things. [Fedor returning in] June would be great. July would be great, but we want to get him back in a cage as soon as possible.”
It appears renegotiations have stalled and they will invade the City of Angels without their biggest meal ticket. Although, it would be a waste to host a show in America’s second largest market and not feature your prized asset, so stay tuned.
Lawler owns a 19-5 record and has finished 14 by way of knockout. He put Melvin Manhoef to sleep in his most recent scrap at “Strikeforce: Miami” in January.
Miller holds a 22-7 pro mark with one no-contest. He was last seen dropping a unanimous decision to Jake Shields at “Stirkeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers” for the open middleweight crown.
He’s slated to fight Tim Stout at “Strikeforce: Nashville” on April 17th.
* – Pugmire reported the event is for June 16th, however that falls on a Wednesday. All of Strikeforce’s major shows have come on Saturdays.