Picture
 

Fedor Emelianenko’s M-1 Global: “We Haven’t Spoken to [Dana White]”

Written by Tom Ngo
April 9th, 2010
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

Strikeforce M1 Heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko

It appears that UFC president Dana White’s comments about “recent” talks he’s had with M-1 Global regarding Fedor Emelianenko’s services may have been of the fictitious variety. Late Friday afternoon, Evgeni Kogan, an M-1 Global executive, vehemently denied having any communication with the world’s premier MMA organization.

“We haven’t spoken to [White],” Kogan told MMAjunkie.com. “He is just stirring the pot.”

During Wednesday’s “UFC 112: Invincible” media gathering, White once again claimed they have been in contact with Team Fedor “more recently than you would think.”

Emelianenko is currently under contract with the UFC’s rivals, Strikeforce, however in early March the two sides started to “tweak” the original three-fight contract they had agreed upon less than a year ago.

Their inability to close a deal has left White drooling over the possibility of the best heavyweight in mixed martial arts history hitting the free agent market once again. White claims he has now become “obsessed” with the idea of seeing Emelianenko inside his Octagon.

Kogan believes White is once again making idle threats towards their stateside foes. Similar to the last-minute live event they were rumored to host in an effort to counter April 17th’s CBS broadcast.

“[White] was doing the same thing with counter-programming [“Strikeforce: Nashville“], and that came to nothing,” Kogan said.

For now, Fedor appears to be Strikeforce’s to lose. The bad news for White is that both sides appear adamant about signing the revamped deal sooner rather than later.

“We are trying very hard to get the Strikeforce thing sewn up in good faith,” Kogan said.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told us last month that, although they have yet to come to terms, he was looking forward to having their meal ticket back during the summertime.

“I think things are going well. There’s good dialog. There’s light at the end of the tunnel,” Coker told 5thRound.com. “I think it was good to go through this exercise, to button-up a few things. [Fedor returning in] June would be great. July would be great, but we want to get him back in a cage as soon as possible.”

Coker announced today that Strikeforce was planning a June 16th show in Los Angeles, however said he was working on a Robbie Lawler vs. Jason Miller main event.

The soft-spoken promoter made no mention of Emelianenko.

And the saga continues …

Please keep in mind that “recent” is a relative term. White, MMA’s ultimate antagonist, may believe that “recent” could actually mean years ago.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS