Although his undercard tussle against against Jesse Sanders isn’t the same as headlining an event for the WEC welterweight title, at least Brock Larson is getting a second chance to make a first impression.
Larson was scheduled to face WEC champ Carlos Condit at WEC 39 on March 1st, however he sustained a wrist injury during training and was forced to pull out of their rematch. By the time the dust had settled, Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the UFC and the WEC, eliminated the WEC’s welterweight division.
Both Larson and Condit were immediately promoted to the big leagues, and both will be competing in tonight’s UFC Fight Night 18 event on Spike TV.
“They initially told me I’d be fighting in January. I’d be fighting one of the Brazilian fighters that they had lined up, [Danillo] Villefort,” explained Larson. “And then they canceled that and said, ‘no lets have you fight March 1, Carlos Condit,’ and I said, ‘okay, awesome, perfect,’ and than they canceled that fight. So now I’m ready. I’ve been ready. So I’ve got the itch; I’m hungry.”
Today marks Larson’s first Octagon bout in over three years, as he previously posted a 1-1 record for the organization. Larson has won three consecutive bouts, including his 1stRound TKO victory over Carlo Prater at WEC 35.
“Whenever you come into an organization – whether it’s the UFC, WEC, Extreme Challenge, anything – I think when it’s your first time back or, you know, you’re always trying to prove that you belong there wherever it is,” said the 31-year old. “All in all, I think most people respect that I belong there and know that I belong there.”
The little-known Sanders enters the UFC with a staggering 24 fights in just a three-year career. He has boxed professionally in the past, posting a 15-4 record, however appears to be adapting to the MMA game quite well as he has finished off 13 of his 20 MMA opponents via submission.