Picture
 

Appealing Loss for Radach

Written by Tom Ngo
May 6th, 2009
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

Strikeforce middleweight Benji Radach and his crew are planning on appealing his knockout loss to Scott Smith on April 11th. Radach told ESPN The Magazine that referee Herb Dean messed up multiple occasions throughout their slug-fest, ultimately costing him the W.

“I’m not a sore loser, and I think Scott Smith is a great guy, “Radach said of his decision to appeal to the California State Athletic Commission. “I wish it didn’t come to this. But I’m just doing what I think is right.”

At last month’s “Shamrock vs. Diaz” event, Radach secured a standing guillotine choke in the 2ndRound of their fight. As he was attempting to sink it in tighter, Smith illegally grabbed the fence to ensure the fight wouldn’t go to the mat. Radach claims that he would have been able to finish Smith had he not applied such illegal tactics.

Also, Radach claims that he “was not out” when Smith sent him to the canvas in the final minutes of their scrap. In fact, he states the he was consciously getting back to his feet, however Dean, as he has consistently done in the past, erred on the side of caution and jumped in to stop the fight.

To make matters worse, Radach and Co. reviewed the right that sent him to Queer Street and it appears that it was illegally placed to the back of his head. According to Radach, another mishap on Dean’s part.

“The only thing that I’m a little upset about is that I think it was a quick stoppage,” Radach stated. “I was recovering after that first shot and I went down to my side. I was coming back up and he socked me straight down square in the back of my head.

“(The rules state) you can’t hit anybody in the back of the head, ear-to-ear, and it was dead center in the back of my head, and the ref stopped it. I don’t think that was quite right.”

Smith has been mum since his come-from-behind victory. He has actually already moved on, inking a deal to face Nick Diaz on June 6th at a catch-weight of 180 pounds.

“He’s obviously entitled to his opinion, but we’re disappointed that Benji is trying to take away from what was such a great fight,” said Smith’s manager, Mike Roberts. “At this point, we’re moving on and are completely focused on Scott’s June 6 fight with Nick Diaz.”

It is highly unlikely the NSAC will choose to do anything outside of noting Radach’s complaint in ink, however further details will follow once the Committee convenes next month.

(Tell us what you think about 5thRound.com by emailing us Here or posting in our Forums)

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS