Sherdog.com has just reported that a 195-pound catchweight bout between Robbie Lawler and Renato “Babalu” Sobral will headline Strikeforce’s June 16th event at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, CA.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker originally announced that Jason Miller would stand opposite Lawler, however one Nashville brawl later and it appears “Mayhem” is not only in the doghouse, but will also have to answer to Tennessee’s sanctioning body.
“Miller isn’t fighting because we believe, in speaking with the Tennessee Athletic Commission, that he will put under some type of suspension,” Coker told Sherdog.com on Thursday. “After reviewing the tape (of the April 17 incident), we felt that Miller shouldn’t headline our next event. We will honor the Tennessee commission’s decision when it’s announced.”
Jeff Mullen, Tennessee’s Athletic Commission director, told the website that the incident was still under investigation. Although he wouldn’t comment too much on the matter, it is believed the the process could take anywhere from one to two months to get settled.
After Jake Shields successfully defended his middleweight crown against Dan Henderson inside the Bridgestone Arena in Tennessee, “Mayhem” – the man Shields previously defeated to capture the open Strikeforce title back in November – rudely interrupted his celebratory speech to demand a rematch.
Shields didn’t take too kindly to Miller’s antics and pushed him. Miller charged back, but was rudely greeted by Shields’ entourage – that included Strikeforce champs Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz – which incited the worst riot in mixed martial arts history.