Denis Kang’s (27-9-1) debut with K-1 HERO’S was talked about for over a month, ever since he officially signed with the organization. Unfortunately he ran into a motivated and tough Yoshihira Akiyama (10-1-0 with 1 No Contest against Kazushi Sakuraba) who landed a devastating punch that knocked out the former PRIDE superstar as well as his mouthpiece and shook-up the Middleweight rankings once again. We also saw some other familiar faces on the card as Zelg Galesic, Min Soo Kim, Minowa-Man and others took to the ring for some action.
Here are the official results for K-1 Olympia HERO’S 2007 in Korea:
– Ryo Kakigawa def. Masanori Tonooka by TKO (Punches) in the first round
– Magomed Sultanakhmedov def. Eun Su Le by TKO (Punches) in the first round
– Poai Suganuma def. Bernard Ackah by Armbar Submission in the first round
Suganuma looked very impressive as the commentators mentioned many times that he has trained with BJ Penn, as it showed when he took the fight to the ground. Ackah was never able to start his offense as he was mounted multiple times and then got caught in an Armbar.
– Daisuke Nakamura def. A Sol Kwon by Armbar Submission in the third round
– Heo Min Seok def. Katsuyori Shibata by TKO (Punches) in the second round
– Shungo Oyama (7-10-0) def. Carlos Newton (13-13-0) by Submission (Punches) in the third round
Carlos Newton the former UFC star looked like a shell of himself as his conditioning and inability to defend against Oyama’s punches was his downfall. Oyama took advantage of Newton’s lack of offense as Newton was forced to tap after a barrage of punches.
– Dae Won Kim def. Marcelo Garcia by TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) in the second round
– Lee Tae-Hyun def. Yoshihisa Yamamoto by TKO (Punches) in the first round
– Min Soo Kim (4-6-0) def. Ikuhisa Minowa (38-26-8) by TKO (Punches) in the first round
Min Soo Kim is best known to MMA fans as Brock Lesnar’s first opponent in MMA, but he looked like a completely different fighter against Minowa-Man. Keep in mind though that Minowa is actually a Middleweight fighter that fought against the Heavyweight in Kim. The weight difference WAS the difference as Kim was able to dictate where the fight went and punished Minowa from the ouset.
– Zelg Galesic (7-3-0) def. Taiei Kin (2-2-0) by TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) in the first round
It’s unfortunate that the cut took place so early, the fight was stopped VERY early.
– Dong Sik Yoon (3-4-0) def. Fabio Silva (9-4-0) by Armbar Submission in the first round
Fabio Silva looked nothing like Wanderlei Silva as he was dominated on the ground and forced to tap to the Armbar.
– Yoshihiro Akiyama (10-1-0) def. Denis Kang (27-9-1) by Knockout (Punch) in the first round
Both fighters looked strong early. Just as Kang started to win the stand-up game, Akiyama landed a nice punch that may have broken Kang’s nose. As soon as that happen, the fight changed as you could see Kang’s vision was also affected which caused him to blink and try and wipe his eyes. Kang was never the same after the punch and Akiyama took advantage of it and spoiled Kang’s HERO’S debut with a devastating knock out.