Following Thursday morning’s announcement that the Orange County District Attorney would not file felony domestic violence charges against Tito Ortiz due to “insufficient corroboration,” UFC president Dana White stated the organization won’t punish the Team Punishment fighter for last month’s “misunderstanding.“
“I’m cool with Tito … he’s still on our roster now … we’ll be looking to get him in the ring in October or November,” White told TMZ this afternoon.
When Ortiz was arrested on suspicion of beating girlfriend and babies momma Jenna Jameson at the Huntington Beach, California home they share, White told the celebrity gossip website they would cut their former light heavyweight champion if the deplorable acts proved true.
“Other than going on a killing spree, being accused of domestic violence is the worst thing you can have going for you,” White said. “We’re gonna be fair, but we could cut him.”
Thankfully for Ortiz, Jameson’s story changed on multiple occasions and the two have since reconciled – making it nearly impossible for the D.A. to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Ortiz had attacked the former XXX vixen.
In regards to his MMA career, the 35-year-old is currently serving as coach on “The Ultimate Fighter,” however leaves the reality show at some point during the season after reportedly re-aggravating his surgically repaired back. He had been slated to face Chuck Liddell for a third time, but Rich Franklin will step in for him to face the “Iceman.”
Ortiz owns a respectable 15-7-1 pro record, however has posted a disappointing 0-3-1 in his last four outings.
White did not name a potential opponent for Ortiz.