Picture
 

Team Fedor Emelianenko Responds to Fabricio Werdum Injury

Written by Tom Ngo
July 15th, 2010
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

Strikeforce heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko

When Fabricio Werdum announced that elbow surgery would force him out until 2011, most automatically assumed Fedor Emelianenko would complete his Strikeforce contract against champion Alistair Overeem later this winter.

However, Evgeni Kogan, M-1 Global’s director of global operations, told BloodyElbow.com Thursday afternoon that there are many factors in play outside of the Brazilian’s health status.

“(Werdum’s) gotta do what he’s gotta do. The rematch will be there, pre-elbow surgery or post. That’s what the fans want and that’s what they will eventually get,” Kogan said.

Team Fedor has been adamant about arranging an instant rematch between their client and Werdum, hoping to erase last month’s shocking upset loss by immediately posting a resounding victory in the sequel. Now that Werdum will be shelved for the foreseeable future, Kogan said they will talk with their “partners” Strikeforce and Showtime to determine the next move.

Although Werdum’s condition throws a wrench into their plans, Strikeforce ain’t the only game in town. It wasn’t until recently that Emelianenko stopped participating in Japanese New Year’s Eve events. While that option is on the table, it appears highly unlikely Fedor will fight elsewhere before finalizing his Strikeforce commitment.

“We are certainly not short of offers traditionally, for New Year in Japan. I just don’t think it’s super realistic, but anything is possible,” Kogan said in closing.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS