Nothing has been promised to Chael Sonnen by the UFC following his NEARLY perfect performance against Anderson Silva on Saturday night. However, if a potential rematch between the middleweights were to go down, it will have to wait until at least the first quarter of 2011 according to the champion’s longtime Brazilian jiu jitsu coach.
“After the 1stRound he said he broke his ribs. He said told me he could not breath because of the rib. I told him to forget the rib and work the movement of legs and he would get the triangle,” Ramon Lemos told TATAME (via Fighters Only). “After the fight he went to the hospital and did an X-ray and the doctor said he did not break it, it was just a crack.
“Anderson is expected to return in February or March. We have not talked, but he has to take care of injuries. He fought twice last year and had an operation on his elbow. This year he made two more fights and now with this rib injury … He is no longer a boy, he is 34-years-old.”
Prior to this weekend’s showdown, Sonnen told everyone under the moon that fans were going to witness an Anderson Silva they had never seen before. The challenger more than kept his word by dominating the planet’s baddest 185-pounder for 23 minutes and 10 seconds. Unfortunately for the outspoken one, Silva’s prayers were answered when he miraculously slapped on a triangle armbar submission just moments before the clock struck midnight.
“[Anderson’s performance] was worthy of a champion. Whoever thinks Anderson is only sharp in the stand-up now has to more careful when taking him down … On the floor he is increasingly dangerous!” Lemos boasted of his protege.
No word from the organization regarding their middleweight king’s health status.