Fighters Only, the world’s biggest MMA magazine, will be hosting their 3rd annual World Mixed Martial Arts Awards ceremony on December 1st. A fancy black-tie reception will be held at The Pearl inside the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada to announce this year’s winners.
“The anticipation for the 2010 awards has been a little overwhelming,” said Rob Hewitt, president and CEO of Fighters Only. “I couldn’t be more thrilled by the potential of this year’s event. Last year’s ceremony opened many people’s eyes: ‘seeing is believing’ so more and more people want to get behind the awards.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who’s supported us in making the World MMA Awards a landmark occasion in the industry’s calendar, and appeal to the fans to let their voices be heard.”
The ceremony was devised to celebrate the special successes and achievements made within the MMA industry. It provides fanatics across the globe the chance to vote on which athletes, brands, and industry professionals have made the greatest impact on the sport over the last 12 months. Voting will take place across 20 different categories including Fighter of the Year, Knockout of the Year, and Best Lifestyle Apparel.
A few new categories were added for 2010 including Referee of the Year, Most Memorable Ring Entrance, Best Technical Equipment Brand and Best Technical Clothing Brand.
Nominations are underway now and should reflect performances from September 2009 until the end of this month. The finalists will be announced on October 1st and fans will be able to cast their votes through November 26th at www.worldmmaawards.com.
Broadcast details have not been released, however the 2009 ceremony aired live on Versus.com.
Here are the lucky few that took home trophies from last year’s event:
* Special Lifetime Achievement Award: Charles “Mask” Lewis Jr., TapouT
* Fighter of the Year: Georges St-Pierre
* Female Fighter of the Year: Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos
* European Fighter of the Year: Gegard Mousasi
* Breakthrough Fighter of the Year: Brock Lesnar
* Fight of the Year: Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida (The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale)
* KO of the Year: Dan Henderson (vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 100)
* Submission of the Year: Toby Imada (vs. Jorge Masvidal at Bellator 5)
* Best Promotion: UFC
* Leading Man of the Year: Dana White, UFC president
* Best MMA Brand: TapouT
* Coach of the Year: Greg Jackson
* Gym of the Year: Greg Jackson’s Submission Fighting
* Ring Girl of the Year: Arianny Celeste, UFC
* Best Media Source: MMAjunkie.com
* Best MMA Journalist: John Morgan, MMAjunkie.com/”Dallas Morning News”
* Best Overall MMA Clothing Manufacturer: TapouT
* Best MMA Shorts Manufacturer: TapouT