It didn’t take long for WEC brass to address the derogatory comments made by their lightweight Donald Cerrone earlier this week on a popular MMA show. Company vice president Peter Dropick issued a statement today condemning “The Cowboy” for his remarks and reiterated they will not tolerate such barbaric behavior.
“I’m just [expletive] fired up, and all I want to do is go out there and kill him,” Cerrone told TapouT Radio this past Monday. “I want to come in that 1stRound and just rip his face off. I don’t want to come in and sit back and let him dictate it. I hope my emotions drive me. I fight better on emotion … I hope my emotions take over and I just kill this dude. I hope this is the first death in MMA.”
Immediately after granting the interview, Cerrone knew something was rotten in the state of Denmark because he took to his twitter account and started backpedaling.
“I don’t really wish death on anyone!! Just got caught up in talking [expletive]! My apologies @jamievarner! Took it to far,” Cerrone tweeted.
Although his plea was heard, it doesn’t mean his vicious statements were forgotten. Here is what Dropick said in today’s official press release (Courtesy of WEC.tv):
“In a recent radio interview, WEC fighter Donald Cerrone went too far in talking about his upcoming fight with Jamie Varner and we believe he crossed a line of decency in doing so. We will not tolerate a fighter who makes comments that are not consistent with our company values, nor will we tolerate the use of slurs that may offend any segment of the public. We are aware Donald issued his own immediate apology on Twitter, but we still needed to speak with him about it, and to issue our own statement making our position known.”
Varner was struck with an unintentional illegal knee to the head in the 5thRound of their only meeting at WEC 38 back in January 2009. After he was given the mandatory five-minute recovery period, Varner complained of dizziness and loss of vision in his right eye.
The fight was stopped immediately, and under the regulations of the California State Athletic Commission, a fight automatically goes to the judges’ score cards when unintentional strikes leave a fighter unable to continue.
Earlier this year, the WEC relieved former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir of his broadcasting duties due to similar “death” comments he made about reigning Octagon king Brock Lesnar. So Cerrone certainly isn’t the original author of such remarks.
The bitter rivals will rematch on September 30th at WEC 51.