Despite their adamant claims of wanting Fedor Emelianenko to fight for Strikeforce again before the year’s through, it appears M-1 Global have taken their heavyweight and headed home for 2010.
According to Sherdog.com, the two sides are still unable to come to terms on a contract extension and will be forced to pump the breaks on a rumored December 4th scrap against Antonio Silva inside the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.
Fedor had his unprecedented 27-fight winning streak snapped this past June by Fabricio Werdum. It was the second bout on his three-fight Strikeforce deal. The world’s former/current top dog slapped Brett Rogers silly in his debut for the San Jose, California based promotion back in November of 2009.
Evgeni Kogan, M-1 Global’s director of operations, told the website they were in New York this week to meet with Strikeforce and Showtime executives. Not only are the Russians seeking an extension for their meal ticket, but are hoping to score a deal to air the foreign promotion’s M-1 Challenge brand on the premium cable network as well.
Regardless, Kogan claimed the earliest Emelianenko could compete for Strikeforce was on a yet-to-be-announced January 29, 2011 show.
Although THIS round of negotiations between the parties haven’t dragged on as long as prior ones, an M-1 Global rep said talks were ongoing and looked “promising” on all fronts.
According to the outlet, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker previously stated the organization has the “first rights to negotiate” if they can’t come to terms before Emelianenko completes his commitment with Strikeforce. However, that may be a moot point as it is becoming more apparent Team Fedor won’t enter the final bout on his deal without an extension in place.
Sherdog’s report did not mention why Kogan said his client is grounded through January or if they will compete in Japan before his next Strikeforce fight. M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein claimed last month they were mulling over a very “lucrative” deal to ring in the New Year in the Orient.
Strikeforce officials were not available for comment at the time of publication.