Picture
 

Shane Carwin Opts for Neck and Back Surgery, Return Date Uncertain

Written by Tom Ngo
October 28th, 2010
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Heavyweight Shane Carwin

A day after Shane Carwin announced he would be forced to pull out of his UFC 125 bout against Roy Nelson, it appears the former interim heavyweight champ has elected to move forward with neck and back surgery.  

“We’re trying to avoid spending 12 weeks with rehabilitation, traction, pain pills and epidurals – only to end up getting surgery anyway,” Carwin’s manager, Jason Genet, told MMAFighting.com.

According to Genet, Carwin has been trying to work through the injuries for quite some time. The the 35-year-old had been using physical therapy and medication to manage the pain so he could continue competing. Unfortunately, things took a bad turn a few days ago when his arms went numb.

Upon examination, it was determined the charismatic slugger wouldn’t necessarily require an operation. However, Team Carwin determined the benefits of not having to worry about the injuries long-term would be the wisest choice.

“If the doctors do not have to perform surgery then I will be out 8-12 weeks. If they do have to perform surgery I do not know how long I will be out of action,” Carwin posted on his official website Tuesday. “In the end, my family and manager are right. I owe myself, I owe my fans the best show I can give them. I need to get healthy.”

It appears the chiseled 265-pounder has had major issues with his back in the past, however still moved on to don Octagon gold years down the line.

“When Shane was an NFL prospect, he had a back injury where people said not only would he not be able to play in the NFL, he wouldn’t be able to play pro sports,” Genet said. “He’s already made it to fight for the heavyweight title. He limped to the mountaintop without all the tools.

“What happens when he ascends to the mountaintop with everything he’s got?”

Carwin and his former UFC 125 nemesis had recently exchanged a few cyber jabs on Twitter, but “Big Country” showed his true colors after discovering his opponent had been bit by the injury bug. Nelson had his knee operated on following his loss to Junior dos Santos in August.

“@shanecarwin I hope surgery goes well and a speedy recovery. so fans can see some of the best HWY’s @ufc has to offer. Good Luck,” Nelson posted.

Carwin’s operation is scheduled for November 2nd. No timetable has been set for his return.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS