It’s no secret former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans has the gift of the gab. Although “Sugar” had plenty to say this Manic Monday morning, he allowed for his thumbs to do the talking for him.
The controversial wrestler has received quite a bit of backlash since sharing his frustrations of having to wait for reigning king Mauricio “Shogun” Rua to recover from his third knee operation. Evans suggested to ESPN.com over the weekend that, although he was the one that opted to wait for Shogun to mend, he was growing tired of playing the waiting game and once again pushed for an interim title belt to be manufactured.
Evans has also taken a lot of heat after UFC president Dana White said Evans turned down a September bout because, “He didn’t want to harm his brand. I don’t know what the Rashad Evans brand is, or what that means, but he said he didn’t want to harm it.”
Perhaps the most confusing statement the former “The Ultimate Fighter 2” winner issued was when he claimed he would never again ask to fight for the UFC belt, or even want to compete for the title if he wasn’t granted another shot in his next outing. However, Evans had secured his next dibs status immediately after his uneventful unanimous decision win over Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 114.
Here is what Evans posted on his Twitter account Monday morning:
“Let me address this article that was put out.. First of all im not impatient about waiting 4 Rua 2 heal especially since it was my choice 2wait!
The UFC did offer me a fight since Rua was gonna b out so long against Lil’Nog. But I turned it down cuz the fight made no sense 2 me
A fight with Machida would’ve made more sense but they matched him up with Rampage. Dana White told me from the beginning they wouldn’t do Interm belt.
So @ that point I decided I wait. [Now] in this article it makes me sound as if I’m upset about waiting which is not the case.
What frustrated me was I was hearing conflicting stories of when he was coming back. One moment Dana would say May then in the article he said the fight is scheduled 4 March. Also Rua manager said he will b out maybe longer than June. So I was frustrated on how the dates r ranging..
But like I said I chose 2 wait. But I had a clear idea on when the return may happen then it would effect choices I take.
I’m all fighter I’m not afraid 2 fight anybody! My record would show that! I’ve fought some of the best men in my era & lost once.
And 4 the last time I never got offered 2 fight Machida 4 a Interm belt. Ed Soares did a article saying it would b a good idea..”