Picture
 

Evan Dunham Refuses to Look Past Melvin Guillard

Written by Tom Ngo
January 21st, 2011
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Lightweight Evan Dunham

While plenty of dubious decisions were rendered last year inside the Octagon, Sean Sherk’s split decision robbery over Evan Dunham at UFC 119 seemingly goes unsung. One person that did take note was Dunham, who was forced to accept his first professional blemish on highly controversial terms.

“I always worry when I leave it to the judges because you never know what’s going to happen,” Dunham told Sherdog. “That’s why I try to finish fights. I know all fighters say that, but I really work to do that so I don’t leave it in the judges’ hands. That’s just the way our sport is right now.”

The Xtreme Couture-trained fighter hasn’t gone the distance often. He holds a 11-1 record and has ended eight of his victories via devastating finish. The 29-year-old looks to right the ship this weekend against Melvin Guillard at “UFC Fight for the Troops 2.”

Dunham was slated to face Kenny Florian in the show’s featured contest, but the former lightweight top contender was forced out with a knee injury. Although Guillard has competed in 37 professional fights over his controversial career, some wondered if Dunham might look past the blondie.

“I don’t think it’s a step down in competition by any means,” Dunham said. “I think Florian’s a little bit better known, with a bigger name, but as far as talent goes, I think that they’re on equal wavelengths.”

“Melvin’s a very tough guy. He’s got a ton of fights. He’s been around for a long time. He’s a very dangerous opponent and that’s how I’m treating him.”

Dunham is more than a 2-to-1 favorite to snap Guillard’s three-fight winning streak.

The 155-pounders headline Saturday’s Spike TV broadcast at Fort Hood in Kileen, Texas.

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS