On the heels of yesterday’s signing of Fedor Emelianenko, Strikeforce also confirmed today that Fabricio Werdum will be taking on Mike Kyle at their “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” event on August 15th.
“We’ve agreed to fight Mike (Kyle). As I sit hear speaking to you, that’s the fight,” Werdum’s manager, Richard Wilner, told MMAWeekly.com on Monday afternoon.
Wilner said he even confirmed with Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker that the fight was on after seeing several online reports to the contrary.
“The only question that remains is whether or not it will be on the televised or untelevised portion of card,” Wilner continued. “I don’t know if maybe they make it a swing bout. I’m leaning towards the untelevized portion.”
The Brazilian was initially slated to challenge heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem on the card, however the 5Round fight was scrapped after it was revealed that Overeem was having complications with his previously broken hand.
Kyle stakes claim to a 12-6-1 pro record, and although he’s been around the block a few times, Werdum’s camp was actually looking for a tougher opponent.
“Fabricio obviously, like anyone in sports, wants to fight for championships. We want to fight the best guys we can. But at the end of the day, we want to fight,” relayed Wilner.
“Not that we’re underestimating Mike Kyle. To underestimate Mike Kyle can prove very, very dangerous. Fabricio trains for and looks at every fight like it’s for the belt. We are very appreciative to have the opportunity to fight Mike Kyle.”
Understandable that Werdum is disappointed that he is now facing a mediocre Kyle instead of fighting for the belt, but this is MMA and you never know what can happen.
Regardless, Kyle has plenty of bulletin board material to motivate him for next weekend’s scrap.