MMAWeekly has reported that James “Sandman” Irvin will step in at UFC 85 for the injured Chuck Liddell to fight Rashad Evans. Liddell was forced out after tearing his hamstring in training. What was to be a Light Heavyweight #1 contender match between Liddell and Mauricio Rua has now turned into a carousel of replacement fighters.
The UFC has promised to fill up the London card with 13 fights to makeup for the card losing its main event. An announcement is also expected for a new main event for UFC 85 as the card is left with a lot of talented fighters that not very many casual fans may know.
Here’s what the MMAWeekly story said regarding Irvin vs. Evans:
Although the UFC has made no formal announcement, MMAWeekly.com was able to confirm that James Irvin has agreed to step in and face Evans on June 7 in London in Liddell’s absence. Sources close to both fighters’ camps acknowledged the bout.
As of right now, the card now looks like this:
Officially announced fights by the UFC:
– Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera (Heavyweight eliminator match)
– Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera
– Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
– Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman
– Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
– Luis Arthur Cane vs. Jason Lambert
– Neil Wain vs. Antoni Hardonk
– Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin
– Ryo Chonan vs. Roan Carneiro
– Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor