In true keyboard warrior fashion, Tito Ortiz’s detractors quickly discovered a way to try and tarnish “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy’s” first Octagon win in nearly five years. After getting Ryan Bader to tapout to an arm-in guillotine at UFC 132, Ortiz’s first submission victory in almost 11 years, some may have noticed it took the former light heavyweight champ a tad too long to release the hold.
“I had an out-of-body experience,” Ortiz said at the post-fight press conference. “It’s like I was watching myself do it. Everything was in slow-mo. It was kind of like in the ‘Matrix.’ It was weird. For the first time, everything was super, super slow.
“I didn’t want to let go because I wasn’t sure what was going on because like I said, I had an out-of-body experience. I didn’t know how to react. I was like, ‘I’m not letting go until the referee rips me off.’ I don’t mean to hold on to a submission longer than I was supposed to, but I wasn’t letting go. I wanted to win. I’m like an animal out there.”
With his back pressed firmly against the Octagon’s wall, Ortiz came out swinging and found a way to extend his iconic 14-year career. The 36-year-old credits the masterful work of the surgeons that repaired his neck and back last year.
“The surgeries I’ve done, athletes don’t come back. They’re done. Not me. I have too much drive,” Ortiz expressed. “I’m healthy now. I feel great. Once again, I’m going to leave my career in my hands.
“I want to fight top guys. I want to fight guys with big names. I want to give fans want they want to see. I want the biggest fights in the world.”
Ortiz now dons a 16-8-1 professional record. Prior to Saturday’s surprising victory, he had gone 0-4-1 over his last five outings and claimed to have begged UFC president Dana White for one final opportunity.