Picture
 

Dana White: Nick Diaz Out, Carlos Condit Now Meets Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137

Written by Tom Ngo
September 7th, 2011
Share on Facebook0Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter

UFC Dana White

Earlier today, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta teased fans by tweeting they didn’t want to miss Wednesday’s UFC 137 press conference. He wasn’t joking, as UFC president Dana White (Pictured) yanked Nick Diaz from the card’s main event against welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and replaced him with Carlos Condit.

Diaz pulled a no-show for a press conference in Canada yesterday, leaving St-Pierre to promote their October 29th pay-per-view broadcast all by his lonesome. The controversial grappler did the same for today’s media powwow.

According to White, Diaz missed three separate flights the UFC set up for him, which cost the company $15,000, to attend the promotional junkets. When asked what he thought caused Diaz to go AWOL, White said the spotlight may have been a little too hot.

“Nick Diaz can’t handle the pressure of a fight of this magnitude, that’s what I think,” White expressed. “We didn’t ask Nick to do anything that we didn’t ask Georges to do.

“It makes no sense. It’s beyond comprehension.”

Diaz’s disinterest in participating in activities not directly related to training or fighting has been well documented. In fact, when White called him back up to the big leagues earlier this summer, he had a poignant conversation with Diaz about having to “play the game.”

White was referencing the need to talk with the media in order to help promote the sport, as well as his upcoming fights.

Condit was scheduled to co-headline the card opposite BJ Penn. White has yet to notify Penn of the change, but it’s highly probable he knows now.

He has not made a decision on Diaz’s future.

Also, tickets for UFC 137 went on sale this morning. White said any fans that purchased seats can return them without penalty if they are disappointed with the show’s new featured attraction.

The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada will host the extravaganza.

Here is the card’s revised roster:

Preliminary Bouts:

Dannny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem

Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera

Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgensen

Tim Credeur vs. Brad Tavares

Bart Palaszewski vs. Tyson Griffin

Dennis Siver vs. Donald Cerrone

Main Bouts:

(Pay-Per-View 9PM ET/6PM PT)

BJ Penn vs. TBD

Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop

Roy Nelson vs. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic

Matt Mitrione vs. Cheick Kongo

Carlos Condit vs. Georges St-Pierre (UFC Welterweight Champion)

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!



COMMENTS