Junie Browning Still Running for His Life, Releases Pics of Head Wounds

Written by Tom Ngo
December 19th, 2011

UFC Junie Browning

As the old adage goes, there’s always three sides to every story – their perspective, your vantage point, with the truth likely lying somewhere in the middle.

Last week, the Phuketwan.com published an article claiming former UFC fighter Junie Browning (Pictured) incited two brawls in Thailand.

Today, the PhuketGazette released an email Browning sent them declaring his innocence. The controversial 26-year-old is still running from Thailand police (and mafia). Browning believes he and his girlfriend’s lives are in imminent danger.

Here is some of what Browning had to say about his situation:

Bar Brawl:

“Sunday night, we arrived at a small bar in Karon with two other females, one of whom was friends with the owner. It happened to be the birthday of the bar owner, Simon Wilson Menzies, so he was surrounded by a group of 12-15 of his closest friends who had been drinking in celebration previous to our arrival.

A discussion via text message with one of the girls I had arrived with resulted in MJ Castro and Simon Menzies confronting me in the street, MJ screaming and swinging her hands in front of my face.

Without any notice, I found myself in a physical altercation with Simon in the street. At this point, it just involved me and Simon, my girlfriend was standing next to us. In only a few seconds, my girlfriend was thrown across the street and I had been hit from behind in the back of the head by a glass beer bottle.

I stood up looking for my attacker and found myself surrounded by a mob of people. It was no longer a man on man “bar brawl” but a fight for my survival. I was trying to defend myself in the street when at some point I fell back to the ground.

They [dragged] me back into the bar where they pummeled me with punches and kicks. A Thai girl had a knife and was attacking my head with it.”

Hospital Brawl:

“They began to assess my wounds and stitch up the three large gashes on my head. Without any consideration to my safety or the events that had just occurred, they placed both Menzies accompanied by MJ Castro, and the man who had attacked me with a mug, in the beds right beside me.

Needless to say, I became furious and again words were exchanged. As it escalated a second time into a physical fight, MJ attempted to intervene and was struck in the rumble. Security and Patong Police arrived and restrained all parties.

My intentions were to file a police report in the morning and deal with this in a civil manner. Hours later, my phone began to ring with numerous reliable sources stating that we were not safe and we needed to leave now! They said that local Thais and mafia had a price on my head and were headed to the hospital and both my girlfriend’s and my life were at risk.

We were told to trust or talk to no one and to just leave. We are aware that the mafia is a real thing and took this very seriously. We panicked and decided that our best option was to escape in the middle of the night and hope we could make it home.

On the run:

The next day I received two separate phone calls from MJ Castro (which I was informed is not her real name) and Simon Menzies saying that we needed to pay several hundred thousand baht or they would continue to hunt us.

In addition, Facebook messages and phone calls flooded in from friends and acquaintances telling us we were in big trouble and needed to get back to the US quickly and, again, to speak to no one.

They instructed us to attempt to cross the Malaysian border and get on the first flight home. At this point we packed again and boarded a minivan to Hatyai. We booked a hotel and paid for two tickets on the 9am bus to Kuala Lumpur, still unsure of what we should do.

While in Hatyai, we contacted the US Embassy, still afraid to tell anyone of our location. We did not want to flee the situation, but needed to confide in people we could trust.

All we are asking for is help from people we can trust which brings us here now. We are victims of a viscous assault and attempt on our lives. We are seeking the assistance of the US Embassy and I want to clear my name of the wrongdoing I was accused of.”

Don’t forget to follow @5thRound on Twitter, Facebook and Google+!