On Friday evening, the Nevada State Athletic Commission issued an email stating longtime executive director Keith Kizer (pictured) has resigned.
According to Las Vegas Review-Journal, Kizer will take a position with the Nevada Attorney General’s office after his resignation takes effect on January 27.
“It’s time to move on,” Kizer told the LVRJ. “It’s time to go back to being an attorney.”
Kizer took over as NSAC executive director back in 2006 when Marc Ranter was lured into becoming Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for the UFC. Kizer has done plenty of good for the committee during his tenure, like pushing for stricter pre- and post-fight drug testing, as well as out-of-competition drug screens.
Kizer also infamously said they will not license Vitor Belfor in Nevada for a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy since he previously tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone in the state. Clearly, this is quite a turn of events for Belfort and the UFC’s hopes of him challenging middleweight champ Chris Weidman in Las Vegas.
Kizer has also had a longstanding beef with veteran MMA referee “Big” John McCarthy, who he refused to allow work in Nevada under his watch. McCarthy was clearly pleased with Kizer’s unexpected career change.
“Oh my, what a great day!!! LMMFAO !!!!!” McCarthy tweeted after hearing the news.
The NSAC is currently looking for Kizer’s replacement. No word on who’s the front-runner to land the gig.